You are a manager in a large company, and you are assigned to a mentor. Your mentor is very excited that you are taking this course and has therefore asked you to develop and share your own personal theory of leadership. Your mentor wants to make sure that your personal development is grounded in theory and practice and so has asked you to first demonstrate the foundation of your leadership approach. To do this, you will choose three theories —a combination of classic and contemporary (Transformational, Trait and Behavioral) that you have studied in this course, in addition to selecting three leaders (Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King Jr & Winston Churchill) who exemplify your chosen theories. You will analyze each theory for its strengths and weaknesses and evaluate the leaders you have identified in relation to those theories. You will also identify and discuss three leaders who are anti-exemplary (Adolf Hitler, Idi – Amin & Joseph Stalin) as they will be used in the analysis portion of your project
Your work must address these critical elements:
Introduce your three chosen theories and three chosen leaders that you identified, which align with those chosen theories. Be sure to provide a brief explanation of why you have selected these. How do they apply to your personal leadership style or the development of one?
II. Analysis of Established Theories
A. Theories Review
1. Summarize the major principles of the chosen theories and the potential impact on empowerment and emotional intelligence.
2. Explain how these major principles look through the lenses of those in the roles of power and influence in an organization.
B. Theories Critique
1. Analyze the strengths of the three theories and their potential impacts on the individuals, groups, and organizational levels.
2. Analyze the weaknesses of the three theories and their potential impacts on the individuals, groups, and organizational levels.
C. Theories Application
1. Evaluate the effectiveness of the leadership styles of the leaders who exemplify your selected theories. For instance, what aspects of their leadership styles align with your identified leadership theories?
2. Evaluate the effectiveness of the leadership styles of the leaders who are the anti-exemplary of your selected theories. For instance, what aspects of their leadership style(s) do not support your identified leadership theories?
3. Apply the selected leadership theories to your past or present organizational context. This is where you think about the interplay of the selected leadership theories and the individual, group, and organizational levels of your past or present organizational context.
Summarize how the theories can alter organizational decision making in relation to roles of power and influence, especially in relationship to your own personal leadership style.