CLASS: TRENDS IN HEALTHCARE POLICY!
Nurse’s Role in Influencing the Legislative Process
In a Microsoft Word document of 2-3 pages formatted in APA style, you will answer three questions related to your opportunity as a nurse and an advocate. The first two questions relate to influencing a bill that is traveling through the legislative process. The third question refers you to the social determinants of health and asks you to think specifically on your role as a nurse in influencing social determinants of health.
Answer the following questions:
- What parts of the lawmaking process does a nurse have an opportunity to influence the final bill passage?
- List at least two ways that this influence can take place. In your opinion, would one way be preferable over the other?
Reviewing the social determinants of health, select one to respond to this question:
- What role can nurses play in promoting health status through policy changes directly affecting this social determinant?
Write each question as a new topic area and then follow with a paragraph or two to answer the question. You may find it necessary to search for answers to the questions outside of the assigned reading.
On a separate references page, cite all sources using APA format.
MUST CITE, REFERENCE AND SUBMIT TO “TURN IT IN ” AND ATTACH COPY
Mason, D. J., Dickson, E. L., Perez, G. A., & McLemore, A. R. (Eds). (2020). Policy & politics in nursing and health care (8th ed.). Elsevier. ISBN: 9780323554985.
From your course textbook, Policy & Politics in Nursing and Health Care, read the following chapters:
- How Government Works: What You Need to Know to Influence the Process
- A Primer on Political Philosophy
Frameworks for Action in Policy and Politics
- Policy and Political Competence