For this assignment, you will be required to write a report that answers the following questions. You must meet or exceed the word count requirement. Your report must include at least one source and be written at a Mater’s level. You must adhere to the APA 7 style and requirements.
Explain meta-analysis and how it may be used to identify patterns in criminal justice research. In your explanation, identify and discuss at least four of the eligibility criteria suggested by Lipsey and Wilson (2001) in your textbook. What is one challenge of meta-analysis? How could meta-analysis strengthen criminal justice programs?
The eligibility criteria from the textbook is as follows:
- Distinguishing features. This includes the specific intervention tested and perhaps the groups compared.
- Research respondents. These specify the population to which generalization is sought.
- Key variables. These must be sufficient to allow tests of the hypotheses of concern and controls for likely additional influences.
- Research methods. Apples and oranges cannot be directly compared, but some trade-off must be made between including the range of studies about a research question and excluding those that are so different in their methods as not to yield comparable data.
- Cultural and linguistic range. If the study population is going to be limited to English language publications or limited in some other way, this must be acknowledged and the size of the population of relevant studies in other languages should be estimated.
- Time frame. Social processes relevant to the research question may have changed as a result of historical events or new technologies, so temporal boundaries around the study population must be considered.
- Publication type. Will the analysis focus only on published reports in professional journals, or will it include dissertations and/or unpublished reports? (16–21)Your response must be at least 300 words in length.
Describe the similarities and differences among the six types of mixed-method designs.
The mixed methods according to the textbook is as follows:
- Convergent parallel design. The quantitative and qualitative methods are implemented at the same time. The findings are integrated and interpreted together.
- Exploratory sequential design. The qualitative method is implemented first, and the quantitative method next.
- Explanatory sequential design. The quantitative method is implemented first and is followed by the qualitative method.
- Embedded design. The primary method may be qualitative or quantitative, but the researcher adds the other component to gain additional insight. For example, a quantitative design might be supplemented by a case study. These designs may be implemented either concurrently or sequentially.
- Transformative design. Creswell and Plano Clark (2011) suggest that the unique feature of a transformative design is that it uses a theoretical perspective with a social justice focus (such as feminist research or participatory action research). Such research is done to improve the well-being of vulnerable populations.
- Multiphase design. This design involves a series of quantitative and qualitative designs; each design and the findings inform the next phase.Your response must be at least 300 words in length.